Pre-production for
documentary (zak)
Locations:
The main locations that I would be filming in would be:
Central park: This is the location I will be filming in
because a football team of my contact trains there. The park would be used for
a few cutaway shots of the footballers training. The location is close to the
contacts who I will be filming for my interview.
Wanstead flats playing fields: This location I decided to
choose is very important because I can film many football teams. It is also
where my interviewee coaches his local team for their league game. I also have
permission to film from matches if given permission by both teams.
Leyton sixth forum college: Two of my contacts is currently
planning on studying/learning in Leyton Sixth Form College. I myself go to this
college and know where to film and know the area well enough to make the appropriate
decision if to film there.
313 fitness: One of my interviewees had left football and
over time he made his own club where people do different sports such as BJJ,
MMA and kick boxing to name a few. I will interview at this location if given
permission at this location by the interviewee. The reason why this location is
going to be used to film is because it is linked to the interviewee and I will
explain him and football and Asian footballers.
Contacts/Participants:
In my documentary I have decided that I would have ex- Asian footballers.
These participants were once interviewed and featured on a BBC documentary
about Muslim Asian footballers. Also I will be interviewing league players who
are playing for London APSA.
Imran Khan: Mr Khan was once a goal keeper for London APSA
and appeared on the BBC documentary ‘They think it’s all about Islam’. He left
and has started a fitness club called 313 fitness. He has organised UK MMA an
event across the country for amateur MMA fighters.
Urfat Hussain: Mr Hussain was a centre half when playing for
London APSA. He has also appeared in the documentary ‘They think it’s all about
Islam’. He has left London APSA and is working in a company that he had started
up.
Mamnoon Sadiq: Mr Sadiq had also played for London APSA as
midfield. He did not feature in the documentary ‘They think it’s all about
Islam’ however he claimed he was interviewed. After playing football with
London APSA and other teams he now works for a charity.
Waqas : He is currently in full time education and is
studying …. He is the captain of the London APSA team and has played many
games.
Similar documentaries/videos (secondary resources):
‘They think it’s all about Islam’ – BBC documentary
This documentary is very similar to the documentary I am
trying to make. It explores the question it asks throughout the documentary. I
am planning on making a documentary similar to this one but instead of looking
at Asian teams and following them I would ask ex-players on my topic. I was
influenced by this documentary in terms of exploring of a topic which is not
talked about. I liked how the interviews where done and I am planning on doing
something similar.
‘Why aren’t there more Asian footballers in the UK?’
This was small clip which was an interview with an Asian
footballer a few years ago. In the video it shows how this footballer got to
where he is. It also talks about how other Asians can get into football and do
well. Some of the cutaways show the footballer training is something that I am
planning on using.
‘Where are all the Asians playing Football?’- channel 4 news
The techniques used
in this news segment was very interesting it had visuals to express their
points. There was also voice over, the voice over person was presenting the
clip as well as interviewing people. The
cutaway technique is well made and looks good and I am planning on having
something similar where I film a footballer kicking a football for my own
cutaway.
Bend It Like Patel: This
is a book about Asian footballers in the English league.
This explains why there is a less number of Asian footballers
and the issues surrounding it.
Aston Villa’s Easah Suliman hopes to set standard for
England’s Asian footballers: https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2015/nov/18/aston-villa-easah-suliman-england-asian-footballers
This article is an interview with Easah Suliman who is
currently playing with Aston Villa. In the interview we read that he talks
about being a role model for other children to get into football. “Suliman is
rated as the next great hope of Britain’s Asian community” this quote from the article
shows the reader that Easah Suliman could become a top footballer and even make
history for the Asian community in the UK.
Legal and ethical
considerations:
When filming it always important to ask permission to film
to protect people’s privacy. It is also important to follow the law and make
sure that nothing illegal (for e.g. slander) might happen when filming or
editing. According to Broadcasting Act 1996 “unwarranted infringement of
privacy in, or in connection with the obtaining of material included in, such
programmes”. To make sure I do not go against this subsection of the act my
colleague and I have created a release form for our participants. This is in
order to ask permission for them being filmed and them knowing what context
their being filmed for. My 'friend' and I both created a release form




Ok this is all good Zak. Can you put clearer headings for each part though? It's difficult to see which parts line up with each part of the 2b Research tasks in the brief.
ReplyDeleteThanks,
Jo
Also, upload scans of the completed release forms too - so ones that have been signed too.
ReplyDeleteThe title for 2b isn't pre-production - it's Research. Task 3 is pre-production. Can you alter it?
ReplyDeleteAlso the talent release form needs to go under task 3 instead, Zak, as it's pre-production rather than research.
Jo